This article includes :
IIT Kanpur the conducting body of JEE Advanced already released JEE Advanced 2018 mock test. Every students are looking for JEE Advanced Preparation Tips by which they can score good marks easily in JEE Advanced. It will be conducted on 20th May 2018. It is also the gateway to get admissions in various courses which is offered by the IITs. One of the toughest engineering entrance examination. In this article you will get how to prepare for JEE Advanced Examination.
Tips during preparation
- Develop problem solving skills: During practice sessions, develop speed in working out the problems. The strategy of solving questions, starting from the fundamentals, will spark thinking processes which are essential to enhance and master analytical skills with conceptual understanding. Aim for 100 per cent hit rate. This will give you a competitive edge.
- Practice: Practice makes a man perfect. The more you practice, the better it is. With practice you are more comfortable with questions, also you fine tune your basic concept.
- Develop thinking skills: This is a must. Forget IIT you if can’t think. IIT needs good thinker. Most of the problems in IIT test your thinking capability.
- Guidance: Take proper guidance from any good teacher. A good teacher is a must to clear your concepts. Also teacher motivates you to score more.
- Get a mentor: If possible get a mentor, who has already cleared IIT can be a good mentor.
- Stress Management: This is a must given the kind of competition you have to face. Stay cool and calm. Do at least 30 minutes of yoga to increase your concentration and decrease your stress level.
- Take more and more mock test: The more mock tests you take, the better it is. Since IIT test is computer based.
- Time Management: IIT is not about solving all questions, but it is about solving decent number of questions in a given time frame.
- Notes: Take notes of the tips while preparing for IIT exam. It helps a lot in last minute revision. Notes are your best friend during exams. They are handy. Books have tons of information which you may not need one day before exams. At that time, notes are your best friend. Always prepare good notes in your own language.
- Make a schedule for your study: Scheduled study is always better than last minute study.
- Take short breaks: First read for an hour than go for a short break. In this breaking time you can talk to your family members about some interesting things. You can even watch TV for that break and watch only those program that you like most. It will give a new power and freshness in your mind.
- Morning Study time: Morning time is the best time to study as environment is calm and mind is fresh in the morning.
- Revise regularly: There is no point of studying if you don’t remember it. Our memory fades away gradually. Without proper revision we will not be able to retain things in our mind.
- Last year papers: Last year papers are good way to know the pattern of questions, many times questions are repeated from last year paper and try to solve all the question of last year paper.
- Seniors: Seniors are best help to crack college exams. Always be in touch with seniors to know best books to study. Seniors can provide good notes too.
- Internet: Internet is a free pool of tons of information. You can trust internet to get last year paper, sample papers, article etc on click of a mouse.
- Avoid procrastination: Procrastination is your biggest enemy. Beware of procrastination. Don’t delay your preparation. Today is the best date to start.
IIT JEE Advanced Preparation Tips for Physics
- Learn Formulas Thoroughly: As you study Physics, note down all the formulas and remember them by heart.
- Learn Derivation Of The Formulas: Learning the derivation of the formulas helps in memorizing and understanding them better.
- Concentrate on Scoring Topics: Once your basic concepts are cleared, concentrate on the scoring topics like Mechanics. Pay extra attention to Thermodynamics as it is common to Physics and Chemistry.
- Diligent Practice: Solving JEE advanced practice papers regularly is a must. Practice only when you are not stressed.
- A vast part of JEE Advanced consists of questions related to physics and is also important in terms of marks. So, a lot of practice is required for this topic.
- Other scoring topics consist of Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, etc.
- Some subjects which require extra attention constitute Kinematics and Particle dynamics. These are important parts of Mechanics and are regularly witnessed in JEE papers.
- According to the general trends, Mechanics and Electricity and Magnetism are the most important topics in terms of the number of questions asked in JEE of previous years.
- In the decreasing order of the marks they carry, listed below are different topics of Physics according to their appearance in previous year’s papers:
- Mechanics and Electricity and Magnetism (Equal importance): Mechanics is one topic of Physics that is considered less scoring by most experts.
IIT JEE Advanced Preparation Tips for Chemistry
- Improve Your Concentration And Application Skills: In Inorganic Chemistry, concentrate mostly on the concepts, the processes, and their applications.
- Study with Patience And Attention: Be careful and patient while studying Organic Chemistry.
- Practice Reactions: Practice the most important topics, equations, mechanisms, and related problems regularly.
- Regular Revision: Chemistry seems to be confusing to many students. Regular revision of Chemistry is a must for better retention.
- Stress more on topics such as Mole concept, Chemical Equilibrium and Electrochemistry.
- Practice Organic chemistry more while improving your hold on topics like Stereochemistry, GOC (General Organic Chemistry) and Functional Group Analysis.
- In Inorganic chemistry most of the questions which are asked are really conceptual, concerned with structures, processes and applications. Special attention is a must to the topics like Chemical Bonding and Coordination Chemistry.
IIT JEE Advanced Preparation Tips for Mathematics
Let’s take a look at a few helpful tips to crack JEE Mathematics:
- Conceptual Clarity: Clear the basic concepts of all the chapters. Mathematic is full of formulas. In order to remember them by heart, understand and practice the derivations of the formulas regularly.
- Take Mock Tests: Taking full-length IIT JEE mock tests help in improving your speed and accuracy. It helps to build stamina.
- Solve Practice Questions: Solving JEE advanced practice papers after completing every chapter is a must.
- Solve Previous Years’ Question Papers: Practicing from IIT JEE previous year question papers is a must when you are preparing for IIT JEE Mathematics.
- Previous JEE papers suggest that more attention should be paid to topics like Vectors and 3-D than Probability or Indefinite integration as vectors and 3-D offers very less scope to examiner, as far as variety in problem is concerned. One more chapter is Complex Number, every year 2-3 problems (of purely complex no.) are asked. Hence mastering complex numbers, vectors, 3-D and Definite integral must be on top priority.
- Algebra can be made easier if you have the ability to picture functions as graphs and are good at applying vertical and horizontal origin shifts carefully as zeroes of functions and other specific values can be done in much less time using these techniques.
- Differential calculus is another important topic for which one should specialize in solving roots of equations, with the utilization of Rolle’s and Lagrange’s theorems.
- Complex numbers can be used to solve questions in co- ordinate geometry too. Trigonometric questions require applications of De Moivre’s theorem.
- Permutation – Combination and Probability is another very important topic in algebra .You need to be thorough with the basics of Bayes theorem, derangements and various ways of distribution, taking care of cases where objects are identical and when they are not.
- Integral calculus can be simplified using tricks and keeping in mind some basic varieties of integrable functions. Remembering the properties and applying them wisely saves lot of time.
- Excelling in Coordinate geometry depends on proper knowledge of parametric forms of various conic sections. Further, one should be highly capable of converting the tougher parts to these basic forms; which will help in simplification.
- Matrices can be related to equations, hence a 3×3 matrix can actually be visualized as being three-planed in 3D geometry. Determinants have some very nice properties, for instance, the ability to break them into two using a common sum and from a row/ column, which should be made use of in tougher questions.
- Practice Mathematics as much as you can while taking cue from previous years’ JEE papers.
Topic wise important tips JEE Advanced Mathematics
For Mathematics, you need rigorous practice. The more problems you will solve, the better will be your speed and accuracy.
The syllabus of Mathematics is broadly divided into:
- Co-ordinate geometry
- Vectors and 3-D geometry
- Complex numbers
Calculus includes chapters on functions, limits, continuity, differentiability, differentiation, application of derivatives, integration, definite integrals and differential equations.
This topic is again very important. This topic is all about understanding Circles, Parabola, Hyperbola, Ellipse, and using correct formula at correct place and is an easy and scoring topic.
Vectors and 3D geometry
3D geometry portion is relatively hassle-free because JEE Main contains numerous problems pertaining to vectors that require standard formulae.
Most students struggle with the chapters on permutations and combinations and complex numbers but practice is the key and the important thing to understand is that the chapter on complex numbers greatly depends on the coordinate geometry portion.
Probability is again an important topic. Having gone through its problems and understanding the concepts of Bayes theorem etc. properly, you can solve most of the problems of JEE advanced.
It is important to realize that the formulae of trigonometry appear everywhere in JEE Mathematics exam paper and very few questions are purely based on trigonometry.
Important Chapters for JEE Advanced Physics
Physics requires you to have a strong hold on concepts as once the concepts have been understood, they are very easy to retain. Some chapters of JEE physics have a heavy weightage in the exams.
Mechanics is probably the most important topic in physics from JEE perspective. A bulk of questions in JEE are either directly mechanics questions or require you to have considerable skill in mechanics, which will help you solve a part of the question.
There are some of the most fundamental laws – Newton’s laws of motion, universal law of gravitation, the law of conservation of linear momentum and so on. You must know how and when to apply formulas and these laws properly.
Some of the problems also requires basic calculus knowledge, so take care of that part too.
Electrostatics, Current electricity, and Magnetism
A large number of questions are asked from the applications of Coulomb’s law and Capacitance and you must stick to the JEE syllabus because this topic is diverse.
Don’t be scared of complex circuits and try to use the fundamentals to reduce complicated circuits to simpler ones. Use Kirchhoff’s laws, series parallel reduction and such tricks and the important thing is to not ignore the theoretical aspects of the topic. Make sure to remember all formulae (with directions involved) because you won’t have enough time to derive standard results on D-day.
Thermal physics and Sound waves
This chapter covers a big chunk of the paper too, since the topics are diverse and it is highly important to familiarize yourself with calculations of work, internal energy and heat in various processes.
JEE Advanced also contains problems related to experiments like error analysis in vernier callipers, screw gauge, and questions from potentiometer. So, practice questions from these portions.
Important Chapters for JEE Advanced Chemistry
Take chemistry as seriously as mathematics and physics. Do not ignore this subject just because you feel chemistry is purely “cramming.”
Physical chemistry has nothing difficult in it. It’s all about understanding the concept and applying formulas at correct places. Understand Mole Concept and topics like Chemical Equilibrium, Chemical Kinetics, Electrochemistry are all derived from it, and you will find these topics easy.
Put some efforts in understanding Thermodynamics and Atomic Structure by solving problems.
It is important to have a good understanding of topics like electrophiles, nucleophiles, types of reaction, acidity, basicity, etc.
All the chapters of Inorganic chemistry are very important. Please read all the chapters from NCERT at least 5 times line by line. Many questions are from p-block, making it the most important chapter. Read from chemical bonding to s,p,d,f block to metallurgy. There will be one question at least from each chapter.
A good knowledge of periodic table and the trends in the properties of atoms (ionization potential, atomic radius, electronegativity, electron affinity, electrode potential) will help you to understand the reactions.